Guidance Counselor News
We are recruiting volunteers for this college & career readiness program that will give all 8th and 10th grade students a chance to meet individually with professionals to discuss possible future career interests and preparation. This is a joint initiative of the Kentucky Department of Education and the Department of Workforce Development.
If you are currently serving in a career or profession that you would like to inspire young Buckhorn students to consider, please contact Mrs. Colwell at 606-398-7176 for more information.
See Mrs. Colwell about ACT registration today! Practice! Practice! Practice!
We can help with the cost.
· The deadline for the April 13, 2013 Test is March 8, 2013. Late registration fee required for registering between March 9-March 22, 2013.
· The deadline for the June 8, 2013 Test is May 3, 2013. Late registration fee required for registering between May 4-May 17, 2013.
Commonwealth Credit Union Scholarship Applications are due on March 14th
Appalachian Wireless Scholarship Applications are due on March 21st
Clay Ratliff Memorial Scholarship and ESA Youth Scholarship Applications are due on March 28th
Trooper Island Scholarship Applications are due on March 29th
Bluegrass Indo-American Civic Society Scholarship Applications are due on April 12th
Christmas for Charity Scholarship Applications are due on April 29th
STATEWIDE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2013
· Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance Companies—$3000 each to two children of farm families attending a Kentucky College or University.
· Kentucky Farm Bureau Federation—$1000 each to 30 students.
· Sam Moore Scholarship—$4000 to a student attending a Kentucky College or University and pursuing a four-year degree in Animal Health/Veterinary Technology or related field.
· Beautification League of Louisville Scholarship—$1000 to a student attending a Kentucky College or University and pursuing a four-year degree in Horticulture or Landscape Architecture.
· Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance Agents Association—$1000 to two students. One will be awarded to the child of an Agency Manager or Insurance Agent. A second scholarship will be awarded to the child of an Agency secretary or CSR.
3.5 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) or a minimum 23 ACT score.
Completion of high school within the year scholarship is applied.
For any senior planning on attending college, we will hold a Financial Aid Application Workshop in the school library on Wednesday, December 12, 2012, from 2 PM to 6 PM. Parents of seniors are encouraged to attend. Please contact Mrs. Denise Colwell at 398-7176 for details.
Students are encouraged to take the ACT as many times as possible to raise their score. High ACT scores can mean tuition is free at some colleges! Students who qualify for free/reduced lunch can recieve two free vouchers to take the test.